Five Special Things I Learned From BlogHer '10
Last week, remember how I was saying I felt a little nervous about this year's BlogHer '10? Well that feeling disappeared quickly enough! Right after I ran into BlogHer assignment and syndication editor Rita Arens and we exchanged a big hug.
I was sweating like a cheap tart in church but that was all I needed to have the nerves disappear.
I learned a whole bunch of things at BlogHer '10 and I'll be writing more about them in the coming days, but first I wanted to give you a quick review of five special things I learned at BlogHer '10.
- The energy and inspiration at the conference was so strong and so exhilarating, I need to bottle all those good feelings of support, and learn to trot them out when I'm feeling the most down about my writing or about life in general.
- The women who spoke at the international bloggers keynote put things into perspective when you think we were told we couldn't take pictures or video of a couple of them because they might be killed because of their work.
- On a decidedly less serious note, Magnolia cupcakes are a sin sent from the devil himself. The nice folks in the Mozilla Firefox suite were showing off a beta of the new Firefox 4.0 and the awesome new BlogHer toolbar add-on, and if that wasn't enough, provided the cupcakes.
- Don't squeeze eight women into a tiny, elegant elevator with one handsome, slightly frightened young man. We were in the Warwick Hotel on our way to a "decorate your sex toy party" sponsored by Eden Fantasys, and the poor guy almost didn't get out of there alive.
- The lemonade spiked with Vodka at Volstead on East 54th Street is to die for. I knocked back two of those suckers when I hung out there with Jenny Lawson (The Bloggess), Mochamomma and a group of other fabulous bloggers on Saturday night.
Jason Mayo's community keynote rant, Valentine's Day is A Greedy Whore was one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. My favorite line?
"F**k you and the winged unicorn you rode in on!"
More later this week, but first check out some of my photos from BlogHer '10 in my Facebook photo album.